Waukee and Shuler Mining Camp Churches

By Dena Forret Around 1880, the first Catholic Church, a wood frame building that seated fifty people, was erected in Waukee under the guidance of Father Burke who lived in Dallas Center.  The parish operated as a mission church from Dallas Center and Granger until 1912 when Father Francis...
By Marlen Kemmet | September 20, 2016 | Waukee

Waukee Shuler Elementary

By Dena Angaran Forret Photo Above: Richard and Bruno with sculpture In 2010 a new Waukee elementary school opened to serve the students of Clive and Urbandale in Dallas County.  One of eight elementary schools in the Waukee Community School District, it is situated near the former site of...
By Marlen Kemmet | August 12, 2016 | Waukee

Waukee’s 1911 Graduating Class – 105 years Ag

By Dena Angaran Forret In 1870, Waukee held its first day of school at the Waukee Presbyterian Church with only three students enrolled.  The earliest record of a graduating class from Waukee School shows four students graduating in 1900, with an average student population of 85. On May 25,...
By Marlen Kemmet | August 1, 2016 | Waukee

Waukee and Shuler Camp Schools

By Dena Angaran Forret The Waukee Presbyterian Church, built in 1870, served three years as the first schoolhouse in Waukee for a total of three students.  The first school building was built in 1874 or 1875 and consisted of two schoolrooms and two recreation rooms with 85 students attending. ...
By Marlen Kemmet | July 5, 2016 | Waukee

Family Life in the Shuler Mine Community

By Dena Angaran Forret Shuler Company built and rented small homes to miners who lived a simple and humble life with their families in a very tight knit community. Mining was not steady income which created poorer living conditions. When the need for coal was low in the summer,...
By Marlen Kemmet | June 10, 2016 | Waukee

Camp People of the Shuler Mine Community

By Dena Angaran Forret In 1949, Shuler Coal Mine closed leaving behind a 150-foot pile of debris, known as spoils that burned 24 hours a day and radiated a reddish orange glow that could be seen for miles. The debris was removed by trucks and then sold. A fatal...
By Marlen Kemmet | June 2, 2016 | Waukee

In 1869 a New Town is Born – Shirley (Waukee), Iowa!

By Dena Angaran Forret On April 13, 1869, the Iowa Daily State Register announced that the Des Moines Valley railroad was leaving Des Moines and entering Dallas County where “a new town will be laid out about 6-1/2 miles from Adel, Dallas County.”  That new town would be known...
By Marlen Kemmet | May 27, 2016 | Waukee

Harris and Shuler Coal Mines Open in Waukee

By Dena Angaran Forret In the 1920’s, two coal mines opened outside of Waukee and changed the community forever.  Coal-mining memories remain in the minds and hearts of many and have been historically preserved at the Waukee Library and Shuler Elementary School. The Harris Mine was the first coal...
By Marlen Kemmet | May 27, 2016 | Waukee